John Y. Brown, III
John provides business strategy, policy advocacy, lobbying, public relations and business development services to clients in a wide range of areas including technology, banking, energy, health care, transportation, real estate, economic development, education, and tourism, among others. Current and former clients include: Uber; Deloitte; Cisco Systems; Kentucky Trial Attorneys; Xerox Corp.; Dell.; SAP; UnitedHealth; Cerner; Ameresco; Cracker Barrel; Expedia; LexisNexis; Key Bank; Kentucky YMCA; National Football League; Automatic Data Processing; Honeywell; Nationwide Insurance; and Microsoft.
John began his career in the private sector by heading up franchising for a fast-food start-up company, Kenny Rogers Roasters, helping franchise into 37 states and several foreign countries. Later, John was a Vice President at ResCare, a Louisville based human services company with more than 40,000 employees, where he focused on government relations, overseeing lobbying and managing the political action committee.
John’s public service began in 1996 when he was elected Kentucky’s Secretary of State at the age of 32, the second youngest in the nation and one of Kentucky’s youngest ever elected statewide officeholders. John was reelected in 2000 without opposition, and served as the Secretary of State until 2004. During his tenure he made good on his promise to “make Kentucky more business friendly, and government more user friendly” and received national recognition and awards for a number of innovative programs he initiated. In 2007, John ran unsuccessfully for the office of Kentucky’s Lieutenant Governor on a ticket with gubernatorial candidate and then House Speaker Jody Richards.
In 2008, John launched the JYB3 Group which became Kentucky’s fastest growing public affairs consulting firm. In 2015, the JYB3 Group was named the Best Very Small Business by Greater Louisville Inc.
Education & Clerkship
- Bellarmine University, MBA (2003)
- University of Kentucky College of Law, JD, cum laude (1992)
- Bellarmine University, BA History & Philosophy, magna cum laude (1988)
Honors & Awards
- Kentucky’s “Power Elite”, Lane Report magazine
- Business First Top 40 Under 40
- Distinguished Graduate, Bellarmine University
- Leadership Louisville’s Connector Project –Selected one of Metro Louisville’s 128 Most Trusted Leaders
- American Council of Young Political Leaders
- Author of two books, Musings from the Middle I & II and Co-author The Recovering Politicians Twelve Step Program to Survive Crisis
- Appearances on CNN Inside Politics, C-Span, NPR’s All Things Considered, The Diane Rehm Show, Bill Bryant’s Newsmakers, The Sue Wiley Show, Bill Goodman’s Kentucky Tonight show and other television and radio talk shows as a political and public policy commentator
Board Positions & Community Service
- University of Kentucky Sanders-Brown Center on Aging, Board of Directors
- Kentucky Science Center, Board of Directors
- Bellarmine University, Adjunct Professor of Business Law
- Recovery Kentucky Task Force for Fighting Substance Abuse, Member
- This I Believe, Board of Directors
- Kentucky Governor’s School for the Arts, Board of Directors
- Healing Place, Board of Directors
- Governor’s Council on Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault, Co-Chair
- National Elections Standards Task Force for Election Reform, Member
- National Association of Secretaries of State, Vice-President (Southern Region)